Thursday, November 12, 2009

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Title: Evernight
Book #: Evernight Series Book #1
Author: Claudia Gray
Pages: 327

Publisher: Harper Teen
Tags: Vampires, Paranormal Romance, Horror Stories, Boarding Schools
Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating:


"Bianca wants to escape"

Synopsis:

At the eerily Gothic Evernight Academy, the other students are sleek, smart, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

When she meets handsome, brooding Lucas, he warns her to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. But the connection between them can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.



Evernight Academy is the last place Bianca wants to be; however, because her parents are teachers there, so she is expected to attend the boarding school. She doesn't fit in and has problems accommodating with her new school arrangements. Bianca soon makes friends with two of the newly admitted students at Evernight-the cool handsome Lucas and Raquel, who would rather read in the library than party in the woods near school. Soon she discovers that Evernight is more than she ever expected it would be, after adventuring with her new powers.

This book revolves around the theme of vampires. As I was reading it I could tell that Gray had lots of attempts to not make it similar to popular vampire series like Twilight, Blue Bloods, and Vampire academy. Although it has another side, it shares insights in trying new things, meeting new people, fitting in, and peer pressure in Bianca's life. This makes the book more relate-able to the reader.

At some points in the book, I felt like it wasn't realistic and that the writing was fake. In other words, most of the vampire things mentioned in other vampire books were in this book. Like when she drunk Lucas's blood, it sounds like Richelle Mead described it in Vampire Academy.

This book does have a sequel, I'm not 100% sure about reading it, but I may give it a chance. However, it did have some really interesting parts that made me waiting for more, unfortunately these didn't last long. The characters are well developed and intriguing. Overall, it wasn't a bad book, but it didn't make my favorites pile.

Sequel:


Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Plot:

Characters:


Ending:


Writing:


Cover:


3 comments:

Staysi said...

Great review! When I read this book, I wasn't too sure if I liked it either. Evernight is one of those books that you just love or completely hate. Stargazer, the sequel to Evernight, is the same. I'm not so sure if I'll pick up the third one though.

Jessica W. (Book Bound) said...

Thanks for hte great review! I always appreciate honesty in a book reviewer. ~laughs~

Evernight is a book that I have been thinking about picking up, but after reading this review, there are others that I will pick up before it.

Jessica W. - Book Bound

book collection said...

great review. I want to read ths book