Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder

Title: Chasing Brooklyn
Author: Lisa Schroeder
Pages: 412, paperback

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Age Group: Young Adult
Release Date: January 5, 2010

Overall Rating:

Restless souls and empty hearts.


Brooklyn can’t sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca died a year ago, and now their friend Gabe has died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there, waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca chasing her through her dreams.

Nico can’t stop. He’s always running, trying so hard not to feel the pain of missing Lucca. But when he begins receiving messages from his dead brother, telling him to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.

As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.




Talking about this book is hard for me. There are so many emotions expressed that it blew my mind. I can say it touched my heart. It was heartwarming, tear-jerking, heartfelt, loving, yet inspirational, and fascinating all in one book. From looking at the cover I knew the tone of the book was going to be gloomy, haunting, and eerie. All combine to make a great book.

This book takes offs after it's been 1 year since Lucca's death. His death hurt emotionally Brooklyn, his girlfriend and Nico his brother. They both try to find something to lessen the pain of his death. But, both find themselves wanting to disappear and runaway from the pain, but can't. Gabe, a friend of Brooklyn, dies of an overdose and then contacts her as a ghost. Whereas, Nico is contacted by Lucca. This brings sorrow to them. Brooklyn wants to be contacted by Lucca's ghost. And, Nico doesn't know why Lucca tells him to help Brooklyn. In search of a solution, Brooklyn and Nico get close like never before.They both can't acknowledge they are being haunted. Until they do, they won't find peace....

While reading this, I could feel the pain of the two main characters. The writing engrossed me in the reading of Chasing Brooklyn. It was so heartbreaking that I wanted to know where Nico and Brooklyn would end up. I felt that they were searching for healing for hope, and they couldn't find it. Even if the tone was sometimes a little depressing, I found myself laughing too.

The story is narrated from Nico and Brooklyn's points of view. You can see how they both try to hang on and survive the situation they are both in. This book was written in verse like Lisa's other books. This actually makes the story flow better. As of my opinion, the characters are well-developed and you can see they have different personalities.

It is an easy read and while reading you will experience many emotions all of which made me want to read Lisa's other books. The plot clearly has different messages all of which will stay with me for a while. I absolutely had fun reading this.

Overall this supernatural book is worth your time. And will easily draw you into the characters lives. As for me, I'll be sure to buy my copy to re-read it when it comes out January 5th.


Plot:

Characters:


Ending:


Writing:


Cover:
____________________________________________________________________

As part of the ARC Tour, I needed to take a photo of one word describing the book, or the tone of the book, etc. I picked Heartbreaking. As of my opinion, it describes the tone of the book. And, both Brooklyn and Nico were somewhat heartbroken.



11 comments:

BookFanatic said...

I am eagerly anticipating this book!! Thanks for your fantastic review!

Anonymous said...

Wow! what an idea ! What a concept ! Beautiful .. Amazing …

kapri said...

I've been wanting to read this book for a long time. I'm glad you liked it. great review!

Becky said...

Wow, this sounds amazing. You've certainly hooked me in with your review.

Book Crazy Jenn said...

I just ordered this one - I cant WAIT to get it! :) Lisa sent me a book plate and some other goodies even for it! :) Awesome!!! Your review has me wanting it even more!

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Oh wow, this sounds fantastic! I'm gonna have to buy it soon. :)

choco (In Which a Girl Reads) said...

What a glowing review!

*puts this book on TBR list*

Now I really want to read it :)

Cleverly Inked said...

This sounds so Heartfelt

Sara said...

I haven't read this, but it is now definitely on my books to read list! You did an awesome review, I love your blog :) I actually just started my own book review blog a couple of days ago and I would love if you would check it out or give me any suggestions, thanks!
-http://sarasbookjourney.blogspot.com/

Candace said...

What a wonderful review! Lisa Schroeder is so gifted at writing these books that really tug at our heart and bring the emotions out. I Heart You, You Haunt Me was a book I pimped out to everyone (am still pimping out!). I can't wait to read this book! Can't believe I HAVEN'T read it yet! Lisa is also awesome and I feel so lucky to have been so privileged to have met her.