Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Devouring by Simon Holt

Title: The Devouring
Author: Simon Holt
Pages: 231, paperback

Publisher: Little Brown and Company

Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating: .5


Your body is here, but not your soul . . . .

"When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.
For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul..."


THE VOURS: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?




The Devouring was unique, freaky, and chilling. It's plot gave me goosebumps for hours. I'm a big horror fan. My expectations of this book were high, unfortunately not all my expectations were met. From the cover you see smoke, fear, and suspense. It did have these elements on the menu!

Regina Halloway, (Reggie) has sweet tooth for horror. After finding a book titled The Devouring at the book store she works at. She is attracted to snatching it to reading it. Carelessly she reads it to her eight-year old brother, she figures he's mature enough to handle it. After strange things happen to Henry she discovers that The Devouring is not just a book and that all the stories may be true. In search of a way to fix all the strange happenings, she must search for real answers to undercover the real truth behind the mysterious book.

The unique plot attracted me to this book. The story line was interesting, and it engaged me in reading it. There were moments when it gave chills. On the down side, other than the plot the plot being great, the scariness didn't last long. It unexpectedly came and went. I did find some confusion on the story, as it was fast-paced. Characters where not well-developed, which is always great to see, especially in paranormal books. Immediately after beginning to read I got into the story, but towards the end it lost me. It was like the plot wasn't going anywhere and I wasn't taking pleasure in keeping reading it.

Overall, I wasn' too thrilled. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the creative plot. I would really like to read the sequel so my questions may be answered.


Sequel:

Soulstice by Simon Holt

Plot:

Characters:


Ending:


Writing:


Cover:

4 comments:

BookFanatic said...

Great book.

Nikki (A Haunt of Ancient Peace) said...

I really want to read this!! I adore the cover and the little description is so chilling that it makes me want to read it even more.

Becky said...

I think one would be too scary for me. I'm a total wimp.Loved your review though :D

browneyedgirl said...

This one creeped me out a bit. I bought the second book at the same time, but have yet to read it!