Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Shadowland by Alyson Noel

Title: Shadowland
Author: Alyson Noel
Series: The Immortal Series #3
Pages: 339, hardcover

Publisher: St. Martins Griffin

Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating:

At the start of this breathtaking novel, Damen and Ever travel to Summerland in search of an antidote to reverse a powerful poison. But instead of the cure they seek, they find something far more sinister: the truth about their existence and the fate lying in wait of an immortal’s soul.

Now, with Damen fighting to save them from the Shadowland, Ever turns to magick, hoping to break Damen’s curse. Along the way Ever encounters the mysterious Jude, finding herself drawn to him in a way that will test her love for Damen like never before . . .




Intriguing plot, but not enough to satisfy me in Shadowland. The Immortal series started off strong. I loved the other 2 books books. But, it was different with Shadowland. The new concept of the shadowland was introduced, but it lacked plot. It irritated me to keep reading. I wanted the suspense and intrigue to last longer. I wanted to be interested, but it didn't.

In the beginning, it grabbed me as Damen and Ever couldn't kiss or touch with the fear of their DNA mixing. It kept me intrigued, it kept me wanting more. I really liked the concept. How Ever and Damen dealt with their dilemma. They both wanted to star over after their mistakes and wrong choices. But, at some point it lost me. Noel introduced new characters, twist and turns, etc. nothing which I never learned much about. I actually felt that Noel had lost control of the plot. I still have hope in the story, but the writing wasn't Noel's strongest point.

To me it felt like everything in the plot was recycled from the 2 other books. Not much changed and nothing was really happening in the story. I hate to say it, but alot of characters got really annoying like how, Haven had a memorial service the for death of her cat. All the time, it felt like the series should only be one book.

I believe the plot line throughout the books in the series are original, interesting, but all of this was poorly used. It has all of the elements, the theme is something we want to read about, but it didn't happen in Shadowland. See if you like it for yourself, but it just was not for me. Overall, there were times I did start to like it, even if these didn't last long, I still have faith in the next book being better. Noel might surprise us!


Plot:

Characters:


Ending:


Writing:


Cover:

7 comments:

BookFanatic said...

This wasn't as impressive as the other books in the series.

Dani. said...

I have the first 2 books, but maybe I'll wait until this one comes out in paperback to get this one, or better yet just pick it up from the library! :)

Thanks for the review!

Dannie said...

Sorry, but I am NOT a fan of this series. Ever is just so annoying to me! Glad you liked it, though.

browneyedgirl said...

I like the concept of this series, and it is still holding me. I could do without Haven, though. She just seems like an extra character that was thrown into the mix. I think (or hope) the next book should pick up again with the action.

Cleverly Inked said...

Your review was right on

YellowBanana said...

I agree completely with your review, I like the concept and the basic premise I just dislike Ever and Damen soo much and I think the author's just dragging everything on- honestly, I can't wait for it to end but I have a feeling that will take a long time....

Anonymous said...

Good Day i'm fresh to this. I hit upon this message board I find It quite accommodating & its helped me out alot. I should be able to contribute & assist other people like it has helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Around