Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Take
Author: Rachel Vincent
Series: Soul Screamers #1

Pages: 279, paperback
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating:
.5

She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…



My Soul to Take was like nothing I've read before. This paranormal novel was packed with romance, mystery, supernatural powers, and adventure. My thoughts on the plot are all positive. I knew this book was going to have me mind blown when I laid eyes on it. It is hard to talk about this book without giving away minor spoilers, but I'll try to keep them teeny tiny.

Kaylee is an ordinary girl until she undercovers her mysterious powers. After going clubbing she experiences her first premonition, in the form of an uncontrollable urge to scream. On the dance floor she meets Nash, the hottest guy in school, together they explore the truth of these premonitions. All the sudden her classmates start dropping dead for no reason causing a huge commotion. Leaving Kaylee desperate to find the reasons for the cause of her new powers.

In all honesty, this book is one of the best I've read in a while. Basically it stands out to me. From the very beginning Vincent's writing makes a connection with the reader that makes them keep reading. The plot to me was very original and something that many people would find interest in. Her writing is very descriptive, full of metaphors, and flowed smoothly. I found that the characters were developed. They were all full of mystery behind them. In particular, I enjoyed reading about how Kaylee dealt with her powers. The romance was hot!

All throughout the book, I wanted to know the real reasons for Kaylee's powers. So, it kept me hungry for more. The ending sums it up, but it promises a sequel. Overall, it was a great read. I don't have anything in particular to complain about it. I recommend this to all paranormal fans. It will live up to your expectations. (as of my opinion) Now, I'd like to read more about Kaylee's powers in My Soul to Save.

Sequel:


Plot:

Characters:


Ending:


Writing:


Cover:

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I need to read this one still!

BookFanatic said...

I'll read this sometime soon. Sounds Great!

Book Monster said...

Glad to know you like it :) I have this on my TBR list and it looks good. Great interview!!

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Great review! I really like the Soul Screamer series, and I agree My Soul to Take was definitely different - in a good way. I hope you enjoy My Soul to Save! :D