Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials by Rosalind Wisemen

Title: Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials
Author: Rosalind Wisemen

Pages: 288, hardcover
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers
Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating:
.5

Looking for a new beginning after a terrible mean girl past, Charlie Healey realizes there's no escaping high school drama.

Charlie Healey thinks Harmony Falls is the beginning of a whole new life. Middle school was brutal. But high school is Charlie's big chance to start over and stay out of drama, except that on her first day she runs into Will, her exĂ‚–best friend, who had moved away. Now a varsity athlete and hotter than Charlie remembered, Will hangs with the crowd running the school. But Charlie doesn't understand their power until an innocent delivery guy falls victim to a near-deadly hazing prank.

Torn between doing what's right and her secret feelings for Will, Charlie must decide whether to turn in her very best friend or live with the guilt of knowing what he did.



Boys, Girls, and Other Hazardous Materials was fresh, funny, and juicy about friendship, betrayal, and how far some will go to be accepted. Surprisingly not enough to make me want to keep reading. Certainly, it doesn't live up to its title and cover.

Charlie was the typical teen in search to become the leader of the popular groups. She moves to Harmony Fall in search to leave behind the traumas and “frenemies” of middle school. Ironically, the drama Charlie's trying to escape swirls back when Will an old friend of transfers to her new school. After a betrayal, she must take a stand.

This novel was many things. At times it was too cute. Sometimes it had all a good book needs. Other times I had to drag myself to read it. It's quite enjoyable. Wisemen paints a picture on what goes on in highschools. In my opinion, in many ways it gives advice about peer pressure and how to deal with it. There's many lessons we can learn from it.

Although, I was extremely disappointed about the writing. The writing doesn't make a connection with the reader to make you want to read it. The same thing goes to character development. The characters were too typical. It would have been great for them to have more personality. On the other hand, they were sometimes humorous.

To sum up, Wisemen has potential as a writer. Her intents for this book aren't bad. And if we put the downfalls of the book away, we have a fairly amazing book.

Ratings:
Plot: 7/10
Theme: 8/10
Characters: 7/10
Writing: 7/10
Cover: 9/10
Total: 38/50 = 76% = C+

Cover: This book has a cover that stayed with me since I first saw it until the moment I knew I had to read. It will totally attract you in a book store. A+

6 comments:

BookFanatic said...

Too bad to hear it isn't that great. I'll give it shot anyway.

inthehammockblog said...

Great review, very honest! This book has been getting a lot of buzz but I think I'll hold off for now.

pirate penguin said...

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that wasn't entirely impressed by this book. I agree with what you say about the characters-I felt like the author could've done so much more with the story as a whole. It had a lot of potential but it wasn't executed enough :/

Michelle said...

I agree with you. :)

Also, random I know but I found that at least 98% of the dialogue ended in an exclamation point. It was so weird because I kept picturing these super hyper bubbly characters. I've never seen so many exclamation points in my life haha.

Patty said...

Too bad it wasn't as enjoyable. I plan to give it a shot anyways. Great review!

Anonymous said...

nice one, i just added lots of new emo backgrounds on my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info