Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Espressologist by Kristina Springer

Title: The Espressologist
Author: Kristina Springer

Pages: 184, hardcover
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Age Group: Young Adult

Overall Rating:

What’s your drink of choice? Is it a small pumpkin spice latte? Then you’re lots of fun and a bit sassy. Or a medium americano? You prefer simplicity in life. Or perhaps it’s a small decaf soy sugar-free hazelnut caffe latte? Some might call you a yuppie.

Seventeen-year-old barista Jane Turner has this theory that you can tell a lot about a person by their regular coffee drink. She scribbles it all down in a notebook and calls it Espressology. So it’s not a totally crazy idea when Jane starts hooking up some of her friends based on their coffee orders. Like her best friend, Em, a medium hot chocolate, and Cam, a toffee nut latte. But when her boss, Derek, gets wind of Jane’s Espressology, he makes it an in-store holiday promotion, promising customers their perfect matches for the price of their favorite coffee.

Things are going better than Derek could ever have hoped, so why is Jane so freaked out? Does it have anything to do with Em dating Cam? She’s the one who set them up! She should be happy for them, right?



Light, enchanting, and fascinating read! I was impressed by its simpleness, quirkiness. and its cuteness. Although very fast-passed and very predictable, I had surprisingly a good time while reading this.

We are introduced to Jane, a typical senior in highschool who cuts classes to work as a barista at Wired Joe's, a coffee shop. Upon noticing the kind of drinks her customers buy, she keeps record of their personalities and the drinks they ordered. After one of her friends breaks up with his girlfriend she decides to match him with another customer that she thinks will make a good match by looking at their personality description from the drinks they ordered. And, so Espressology was born.

Yes, It was interesting. The concept Springer crafted is very intriguing to read. I could savor coffee while reading it. Extremely fascinating to read. On the other hand, the writing didn't shine to me, to where it had me floored. Because of its simplicity, this book was too cute. The characters didn't grab me, they were too typical. They had no depth, very underdeveloped. But still likable characters. Sometimes it would lose its rhytum in between chapters though it was pretty easy to get back in the story.

I could feel a cozy feeling while reading it, like I was in a coffee shop. We can learn a few things from this book like gaining confidence. Towards the end, Jane gains confidence to fully believe in herself unlike in the beginning. Also, how to forgive your best friend when you caught her kissing your boyfriend. Now, the matchmaking made me smile it was adorable. Wish it were real?

To sum up, I enjoyed its simpleness and craved coffee while reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you are looking for a book with a unique plot, romance, and delicious coffee here's your best win.


Rating:
Plot: 9/10
Characters: 8/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10
Overall: 46/50= 93% = A-

Cover: Caught my eye the first time I say it. The story seriously matches the cover: so cute! A+

7 comments:

Elie said...

Sounds like a cute read. Glad the predictability of the story did not get in the way. Thanks for the review.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Just looking at it makes me want starbucks. :) lol I'm not sure it's my type of read though. Sometimes I like these books, but I have to be in the right mood...maybe a good summer read?

I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

Becky said...

I think this book sounds so sweet and like a really nice cuddly read. Great review.

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can bruit about that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is stationary a without question as you did in the downgrade delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=value investor pro 1.3.8 ?
I noticed the phrase you suffer with not used. Or you use the black methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg

Erin said...

Sounds cute! Nice review. :D

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

This one is on my tbr list, I really want it!

Kay said...

Enchanting and cozy - that really does some it up! Great review, glad you enjoyed it as well!