Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Best of the Best in Books

Since last September, I've been committed to reading, along with blogging about books. I've laughed, cried, and had a rocking time reading. In my journey of books there's been "eh" books, most worth reading, great, but I hear they don't live up to the bestsellers out there.

My hopes when I decided to pick up reading after about 1-2 years was to devour books and stay up all night because I just couldn't stop reading a book. For the most part, I've read a couple books that I rated 5 stars. But, they don't come often.

My true feeling towards this are "I'm reading, but I feel like I'm not reading". In other words, yes I'm reading books, but because there's a vast variety of good books I haven't read, I feel like I'm not reading the Best of the Best. (Like I'm missing out of better books.)

The following are without a doubt current bestsellers:



House Of the Night Series



The Vampire Diaries Series



Twilight Series



Harry Potter Series




The Hunger Games Series



Before I Fall, Hush, Hush, and Shiver



Beautiful Creatures, Fallen

According to Barnes & Noble the above, books are some the bestsellers, right now. The majority of these books have caused major buzz for earning 5 star ratings. This must make them The Best of The Best?

I'm not going to let other people's judgment decide the books I read/buy. But, I will be influenced by it. Going back to my reading madness, I feel that I haven't yet read the best of the best in books. I haven't called so-so book my favorite. Making the conclusion that the books above have gained huge popularity and favoritism, I'm being driven to devour them.

Out of all of the books, above I'm sure a YA avid reader could point out their favorite. This isn't the case for me, I've yet to read any of them.

Conclusion: My best bet is that some of the above books have become people's favorites. I don't exactly want to read all the bestsellers out there, but I'm willing to try them.

I'm not saying the books above are "The Best of the Best", but some are for some people. The majority have earned 5 Star Ratings. Which, tempts me to try them.

With all that said, I'm going to wisely choose some of the above books. Yes, the books above could potentially be some of "The Best of the Best".

9 comments:

Staysi said...

I don't consider all of those books the Best of the Best, although most of them do fall pretty close to being "the best" in my opinion. I'd definitely recommend Before I Fall. I loved that book! :)

Michelle said...

I get what you're saying. Just because they're popular doesn't mean they're "the best." A lot of stuff in life is like that. Popularity at times can overrule quality. That being said, everyone is different so what I may love you may not and vice versa.

Out of all of those, I'd recommend Before I Fall, not that I'm trying to influence you or anything. ;D

Amber Skye said...

I know what you mean. A lot of people are giving popular books five stars, but sometimes I just don't feel the same way. I try not to let their opinions influence my reviews because I want to be honest.

http://addicted2reading4evr.blogspot.com/

Bella said...

I definitely recommend The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, I absolutely loved them and stayed up all night to finish them a week ago, hehe.

Addicted Book Reader said...

I also feel like bestsellers are kind of influencing my feelings in wanting to read them, and also making me like them more than I should just because they are popular.

However, some of those are amazing and some of my favorite books. Harry Potter is hands down amazing, and the best series I've ever read! Twilight and Vampire Diaries are also good but not the best. Before I Fall and the Hunger Games are very hard to put down and true page-turners. I really recommend reading them even though they might be a little overrated.

Diana said...

I agree with you that not all those books are "the best." I have read some of them and thought they were good but I have also read some and thought they weren't good. Though I know that Harry Potter is a bestseller I would love it even if it wasn't.

Book Monster said...

I most certainly agree with BC, Fallen and Hush Hush. I want to read Before I fall, and Shiver was beautifully written but I had mixed feelings about it. Hunger Games series I haven't started yet. Harry Potter is not my type of books. The first twilight book was good, but I didn't enjoy the rest of the series. The VD, I've read 4 books of the series. House of Night series is ok, I read the first two.
Nice post!!

MarceJ said...

I consider them to be Popular Books not the best of the best. We are all so different that no 1 book could be the best.

I haven't read any of those but do have Hunger Games and Before I Fall on my TBR list.

librarypat said...

The BEST for you may not be what someone else has really liked. I've enjoyed some of the ones listed above and yes they were good. I've read some that people have raved about and not cared for them. It is all a matter of taste and I've found mine is changing - again. Which is fine. There are all kinds of books out there for all kinds of people. As we grow and mature, our tastes change. In some cases, we have been reading so much of one genre it has become stale. We need a change and will come back to it another time.
Read what you like and don't worry about it.