Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Harcover Vs. Paperback

I recently discovered after walking around my B & N that there is more emphasis on hardcovers than on paperbacks. I myself rarely purchase hardcovers. Reason being I can only get them online, because they are cheaper.

Today I'm going to be analyzing this topic to arrive at the conclusion. "Which is more convenient hardcover or paperback?"

Hardcovers:

Pros:

  1. Luxurious to hold.
  2. They look good on a bookshelf.
  3. The paper is smoother.
Cons:
  1. They are more expensive.
  2. They put more weight on a bookshelf.
  3. Heavy to take around.
  4. Dust-jackets get lost or missing.
Paperbacks:

Pros:
  1. Lighter than hardcover. Easy to carry.
  2. Cheaper than hardcover.
Cons:
  1. They get more damage than hardcovers.
  2. I can't think of any more! Other than the fact that they don't look as good as hardcovers.
The way I see this, there is greater emphasis on hardcovers because they cost at least $5 more than paperbacks.

What's more important the luxury, prize, or the size of a book?

Conclusion: You buy what fits your needs. If you travel by train or subway and you like saving some cash, paperback is for you. If hardcovers doesn't way you down, if money is no inconvenience, and you enjoy the luxury of hardcovers over paperbacks, then hardcovers are for you.

Hardcover wins for me, but to save money for more books I will buy lots more in paperback!

"In addition, what matters most is what is inside than the outside appearance of a book!"

Which do you prefer, hardcover or paperback? And why?

14 comments:

Kelsey said...

Interesting post. I myself like paperbacks better because they are cheaper. In this economy, every penny saved is worth it! I also like paperbacks better because they are lighter to hold up when reading. When the book is 900 pages long, you don't want a hardcover to lug around!

I agree with you though, that they look better on a bookshelf than paperbacks do, but saving money is more important to me than that. What's inside the covers matters the most!

Michelle said...

If given the choice to chose the same novel either in paperback or hardcover I'd choose paperback just because it's cheaper. Hardcovers like you said are a lot sturdier and don't get as ruined as paperbacks which I appreciate and they do look really pretty on a shelf. I used to have a difficult time dishing out the cash for a hardcover but now I'm not as picky. If it's a book I really want to read, I'm willing to pay up.

geekyreads said...

I'm all about the paperbacks. They're cheaper (which ultimately means more books)and they're smaller (easier to take with you when you're out and you can fit more on the bookshelf).

browneyedgirl said...

I actually like having a good mix of both. I think it also depends on how long a book is, as sometimes it's easier one way or the other. I know hardcovers do cost more, but I like the sturdiness of them, and I know they can take a beating better than your average paperback.

BookFanatic said...

Interesting post! I myself prefer hardcovers. But, money adds up. So, sometimes I prefer paperback, it just gives a chance to buy even more books.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Hmm, great post. I couldn't really decide which I prefer - I love paperback because they're so convenient and inexpensive, but I find hardcovers to be easier to read. Honestly, I don't really care, as long as the story's great! :D

Larissa said...

I like both. If the book is new, hardcovers come out first, then I get those, but I don't mind at all having paperbacks, if the cover is good looking I think they're just as pretty as the hardcovers.

Addicted Book Reader said...

I like hardbacks when I want to keep them nice and keep them for a long time like Harry Potter, Twilight, Series of Unfortunate Events, and ect. I mainly buy paperbacks just because they are cheaper and easier to read.

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I've always liked paperbacks better. I love their smooth shiny covers. And I HATE dust jackets. Aaaaannoooying!

yabooknerd said...

I like both, but sometimes it comes down to the cover. which was is better or if you have all the others in hardcover/paperback do you want to whole set to be the same. I guess I'm not too fussy when it comes to boos :) as longs as they're good.

creatingdiscussion said...

Great post! I prefer paperback to read, hardcover for my bookshelf. :)

creatingdiscussion said...

Great post! I prefer paperback to read, hardcover for my bookshelf. :)

librarypat said...

If I am going to purchase, I usually grab a paperback. They are cheap and very portable. Having said that, Hard covers or trade paperbacks are preferable. The print tends to be larger making them a little easier to read. Since I keep many of my books, paperbacks take up less room, so more will fit on the shelves.

Kay said...

Although I have a ton of paperbacks - it's my default preference - I always try to get hardbacks of books that I want to keep for ever. Paperbacks tend to... wilt. Especially in my less-than-airtight!house...!