Thursday, March 11, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones

Title: Need
Author:
Carrie Jones

Pages: 306, paperback
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: December 2008

Overall Rating:

Pain shoots in my head.

Fireworks. Explosions. All inside my brain.

The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen.

Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now. She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.




From the very moment, I picked it up. Need was simply everything I could ever want from a YA novel. At the beginning, I fell in love with it, and it throughout the the whole book it just kept surprising me. Page turner, mesmerizing, amazing, and heart racing, I loved it!

We meet Zara (pronounced the same way as Sara), a typical teenager, still in mourning after her father's death. Since then Zara has been collecting phobias. To remedy Zara's life, her mom sends her away to live with her grandmother in Maine. But, Zara is still upset in Maine. Shockingly, Zara discovers that some mysterious guy is following her everywhere, leaving gold dust behind. To Zara's surprise it doesn't end there, there are still more surprises......

It hard to explain how good it is, it's the closest to perfection. I enjoyed it all the way through. It had be at the edge of my seat. Strong characters, perfect setting, fantastic writing, and don't get me started on the plot. It was so deliciously entertaining.

It's easy to be immediately drawn into this book. Zara is so likable that readers instantly relate. She's strong, but at the same time full of fear. Nick is sexy and full of it. Issie was funny and quirky. Maine is the perfect setting for this book snowy and isolated, it fits great with the plot.

Jones' writing was amazing. She developed a story that even people who dislike pixies can enjoy. To top it off, it even has romance and lots of action. It has some of the most amazing insights of phobias. My favorite was autophobia: the fear of oneself.

To sum up, everything in Need compliments it to make absolute perfection (in my opinion). Long story, short I will be reading Need more than once, it captivated me. I recommend this for fans of fantasy, mystery, supernatural, and pixies!

Rating:
Plot: (10/10)
Characters: (10/10)
Ending: (10/10)
Enjoyment: (10/10)
Cover: (10/10)
Overall: 50/50 = 100% = A+

Cover:
Perfect fit for the book.

For More
Info or to Buy Need:

10 comments:

Rhiana said...

Wow...I have this TBR so really looking forward to it now!

brizmus said...

100%?!? near YA perfection?!? Man, I have GOT to read this! I can't even remember the last time I felt so strongly that a book was so awesome!

BookFanatic said...

You're review makes me want to read this so much!

MarceJ said...

Loved how you described it as deliciously entertaining. Amazon keeps recommending this to me, adding to the TBR list now, it sounds exciting.

Sunnysmileqt said...

There is an award for you at my blog:

http://afewgoodbooks1.blogspot.com/2010/03/blog-awards.html

Morgan said...

Wow, you seem to really have enjoyed this one (especially since you gave it an A+). I've been debating whether or not to read this one for a long time, and I think I finally came to that conclusion: I'm going to buy it, thanks to your review.

And I love the name Zara (pronounced Sara) It's just so different

Book Monster said...

I love this series!! Glad to know you enjoyed Need!!

browneyedgirl said...

I loved Need too!! Just wait until you read Captivate :)

librarypat said...

YA fiction is one of the fastest growing and most interesting fields of fictions around. This is a good example.

Anonymous said...

What's up, after reading this remarkable post i am as well delighted to share my
knowledge here with mates.

Here is my web site: lady weight loss - -