Monday, March 8, 2010

Sweet Little Lies by Lauren Conrad

Title: Sweet Little Lies
Author:
Lauren Conrad

Pages: 309, hardcover
Publisher: Harper Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: February 2010

Overall Rating:

How Sweet it is?

Jane Roberts was the average girl next door until she and her best friend, Scarlett Harp, landed their own reality show, L.A. Candy. Now the girls have an all-access pass to Hollywood's hottest everything. But there's more to life on camera than just parties and shopping. . . .

When racy photos of Jane are leaked to the press, she finds herself at the center of a tabloid scandal. She turns to her co-star Madison Parker for help, unaware that Madison is scheming behind the scenes. She might be Jane's shoulder to cry on, but does Madison really have Jane's back?

Scarlett's working on a scandal of her own. She's fallen for someone who's strictly off-limits—which means Scarlett has a big secret to keep . . . from the L.A. Candy cameras, the paparazzi staking out her apartment, even from her best friend.

Of course, nothing stays secret for long for the stars of the newest hit TV series, and all this drama couldn't be better for ratings. But can Jane survive another season in the spotlight?




Surprisingly, Sweet Little Lies was fun, charming, scandalous, and light read. Had all the elements of reality show, which is what intrigued me to read this.

Nothing has changed since the start of L.A. Candy, the reality show. Everything is the same, except rumors, scandal, and bitchy-ness is swirling in the L.A. life of Jane, Scarlett, and Madison.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid, that would describe the writing in this book. While I was reading, I could imagine how better it could be. With out a doubt, I could top Lauren's writing. There's reasons why it has made no hype in the literary world. Unprofessional writing, book with not much to tell, un-developed characters = NOTHING.

From the beginning, I wasn't hooked I only kept reading because I was intrigued. Other than insights some insights to the celeb-world, Sweet Little Lies has nothing to offer. It's perfectly like watching a reality TV. At first its good you love the drama then at the end gives you a sour taste, like you wasted your time. Clearly the overuse of (parenthesis) will turn you off from reading a book. It's like Lauren had obvious difficultly expressing herself!

The only highlights are it can be a guilty pleasure to watch or read reality TV, so there are some people that were smitten with this book. On the other hand, I wasn't, along with 75% of the other people who have read it. I want to say that this negative review isn't because I don't like Lauren. I do like her style, as a celeb. But, she has shown little to almost none potential as a literary author.

To conclude, I liked little about the book it was too fluffy. Although, we did spend an entertaining, and interesting time for a short period of time. Still, if you like reality TV you might find some enjoyment in it. = >

Rating:
Plot: (7/10)
Characters: (6/10)
Ending: (7/10)
Enjoyment: (8/10)
Cover: (9/10)
Overall: 37/50 = 74% = C-

Cover:
To much like the cover of the first book. Still, sells the book.

For More
Info or to Buy Sweet Little Lies:

4 comments:

BookFanatic said...

Sad to hear it's a disappointment.

Kelsey said...

I still need to read the first book, but this does sound like a fun book.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Thanks for the honest review! I have this to read, but my expectations for it are not very high so hopefully I won't be disappointed - I just want to be decently entertained. ;)

Sydney said...

Thanks for your true opinion. I was going to read this book, but now I'm not. Oh and why do you think Lauren Conrad would write a book?Cause I have no idea. And yes, I think you would probably write this much better!Awesome site!!Keep it up!