Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Willow by Julia Hoban

Title: Willow
Author:
Julia Hoban

Pages: 329, paperback
Publisher: Speak
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: April 2009

Overall Rating:


Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen year- old Willow’s parents died in a horrible car accident. Willow was driving. Now her older brother barely speaks to her, her new classmates know her as the killer orphan girl, and Willow is blocking the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when one boy—one sensitive, soulful boy—discovers Willow’s secret, it sparks an intense relationship that turns the “safe” world Willow has created for herself upside down.
Told in an extraordinary fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl’s struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy’s refusal to give up on her.



Unbelievably emotional! Willow is powerful, unforgettable, story that broke my heart. Hoban impresses readers in Willow, giving a clear picture of the painful, grievous reality of a cutter's life.

After the death of her parents, Willow can only find comfort, and consolation under the razor. The razor is the only thing that can ease the pain and block her bitter reality. To the rescue comes, Guy, one of Willow's classmates. Upon him stumbling on the truth about Willow, he refuses to give up on her....

In not so many words, Willow was extraordinary! Hoban reaches high levels of deepness in Willow.
Upon beginning to read this heartfelt tale, there is an instant connection with reader. Willow is dramatically well-developed character. Her journey was one I wanted to follow closely. I was in astonishment, about how anybody would want to bring so much pain upon themselves. So, I was intrigued to find out more. This was more than a sad story, it was a thought-provoking story.

I do have minor complaints. First off, the writing was in 3rd person, which is not so much seen in YA, very distracting at first. Secondly, the writing was a sometimes too simple and cheesy, instead of being more exciting. Thirdly, I didn't relate to Willow, much.

Although, Willow had a couple of letdowns for me. I focused on the story. Even learned a thing or 2 about a cutter's life. Plus, a sprinkle of romance.
The story drew me into a reality with pain that I wasn't aware of. I'll say it reminded me to appreciate my parents every second of the day, because unfortunate things do happen.

Overall, the plot was well-thought-out, the characters were courageous, and the overall book is full of hope. Brought tears to my eyes....... ;

Rating:
Plot: (9/10)
Characters: (9/10)
Ending: (9/10)
Enjoyment: (9/10)
Cover: (9/10)
Overall: 45/50 = 90% = A-

Cover:
Fits the mood of the book perfectly.

For More
Info or to Buy Willow:

6 comments:

BookFanatic said...

I never found any interest in reading this. But, after reading this I guess I should. Sounds more than a sad story....

Sara said...

Aww awesome review! I'm just about to start this, so I'm so glad you liked it. I'll make sure to keep the tissues nearby.

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Wow, awesome review!! I really want to read this one!

Book Monster said...

Ooh I love a good book that has courage in it. Might check this one out, awesome review!!

dArLyN said...

i try to find this book at local bookstore at my area.but sadly, there's no copy of the book yet..

nice review!

librarypat said...

This book should be available to all teens. It wouldn't hurt adults to read it too. Cutting is a problem and this book seems to do a good job of giving some insight into the why of it and how one can help.