Friday, April 23, 2010

Crash Into Me by Albert Borris

Title: Crash Into Me
Author: Albert Borris

Pages: 257, hardcover
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: July 2009

Overall Rating:
Owen, Frank, Audrey, and Jin-Ae have one thing in common: they all want to die. When they meet online after each attempts suicide and fails, the four teens make a deadly pact: they will escape together on a summer road trip to visit the sites of celebrity suicides...and at their final destination, they will all end their lives. As they drive cross-country, bonding over their dark impulses, sharing their deepest secrets and desires, living it up, hooking up, and becoming true friends, each must decide whether life is worth living--or if there's no turning back.
Extremely light, witty, and insightful was Crash Into Me. Even though it falls short of perfection, I couldn't help, but be touched by the story. To some extent, the book was tolerable, so-so, and didn't do much for me.

Upon meeting each other in chat rooms, teenagers Owen, Audrey, Jin-Ae, and Frank embark on a road trip to view suicide sites. The clan forms a suicide club. Their sole purpose is to commit suicide, at the end of the road trip they will all discover something they failed to appreciate and comprehend prior to the road trip........

Crash Into Me was insightful in sharing deep feelings and the perception of teens wanting to commit suicide. I was hooked by the humor and witty-dialogue of the characters. Primarily, I enjoyed seeing how it feels to want to end your life. Borris connects with readers in an emotional level, and pulls off some humor along the way.

Unfortunately, the characters to me fall flat and the plot dragged. From the beginning to the very end, it doesn't go much of anywhere most of the book was just the characters interacting. Where were the twist and turns the suspense for the readers? I question where Borris' heart was in writing this. It wasn't to teach teens out of committing suicide. The reader struggles to find meaning, significance, intent in Crash Into Me, but in the end there's none. First, the author fails to share the reasons why the main characters want to commit suicide. There was no message that gets through the reader about suicide.

It certainly wasn't to persuade readers out of committing suicide. It wasn't until the end that Owen finds reasons to live. It's not clear to me what the intent was, I suppose it was just a story that missed purpose. Still, entertaining.

To sum up, it was a quick read, but not something to hype over. In particular, I loved the lists all suicide-related, they were my favorite part. I learned that Marlyn Monroe killed herself after the president dumped her, other than that random fact I didn't learn anything about why suicide is wrong. At least it entertained me for a few hours. See if you like it yourself!

Rating:
Plot: (7/10)
Characters: (7/10)
Ending: (8/10)
Enjoyment: (7/10)
Cover: (8/10)
Overall: 42/50 = 74% = C-

Cover:
It doesn't draw me to the book, but I like the expressions of the models. The tattoo on the guy is a nice touch.

For More
Info or to Buy Crash Into ME:

8 comments:

Morgan said...

This book was exactly what you said: insightful. I defiantly enjoyed it, great review.

BookFanatic said...

Thanks for informing us about this. Suicide is a sensitive topic, maybe I'll check this out, sometime.

Sara said...

Thanks for the honest review! For some reason I couldn't really get into it.

prophecygirl said...

I haven't read this yet, but I did hear that it had some character problems. Thanks for the honest review!

Jami said...

It's good to hear there was some humor added to this heavy subject. Too bad to hear the characters were flat and the plot slow. I still might read it because the premise is so intriguing. Great, honest review!

Kelsey said...

The suicide lists sound interesting... sorry you didn't enjoy this more, but it does sound like a good read.

Corrine said...

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the book more! I may pick this one up, but we'll see. Great review! :)

librarypat said...

One more book on teen suicide doesn't do much to stop what in some areas is becoming a big problem. A joy ride with kids waiting to kill themselves without exploring motive or cause or the impact it will have on family and friends is a disservice to the readers. I have seen too many families deeply hurt the past few years to appreciate someone who doesn't take it for the serious issue it is. Lets hope the list doesn't sound like a cool idea and the trip get copied with different final results.