Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa

Pages: 363, paperback
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: February 2010

Overall Rating: .5


Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.



Brilliant, stunning, and unique debut. This is a wonderful treat of a mystical, magical, and enchanted world. Worthy of staying up reading it at midnight, worthy of recommending it's awesomeness.

The Iron King revolves around the life of Meghan Chase, a typical girl next door, with typical teen issues. Forced to live in a swamp, she must cope with the fact that her father disappeared, her step-father who acts how he doesn't even know her, and now find her disappearing little brother Ethan in the Neverever Faerie World, she must dig deeper for the truth......

It was a big delight to read The Iron King. Julie did an exceptional job writing this, she gives us kick-butt action, captivating characters, royal drama, suspense, and a wicked good time. The book held my interest till the last second. The writing is so perfect to me; very descriptive, exciting, and intriguing.

I'm a very down-to-earth person, I struggled when all the mystical started to happen. Eventually, it became more real to me. There was a spark like a glue something, that kept me interested. And, with this being supernatural fiction, that doesn't happen for me very often, but it did in The Iron King.

Why not 5 Stars? Yes, the book was in my liking even if I'm a down-to-earth person. Although, there's things I'd like to see different in The Iron Daughter like more developed characters, surprises, and twist and turns that this book didn't meet.

Faerie books are piling and staking up in bookstores. From the ones I have read, I would say right now this is my best pick. It has a uniqueness, that I loved. And, will continue reading the series. In the end, The Iron King has a lot to offer; adventure, trill, fantasy, and climax.....; I strongly recommend.

Rating:
Plot: (10/10)
Characters: (8/10)
Ending: (9/10)
Enjoyment: (10/10)
Cover: (10/10)
Overall: 47/50 = 96% = A+

Cover:
Very alluring look, font, and the swirls.

For More
Info or to Buy The Iron King:

6 comments:

brizmus said...

I find it's so hard to write unique books lately; sounds like she really succeeded! Thanks for the review!

BookFanatic said...

This sounds great. I'll have to add this to my wishlist. Fantastic!

Book Monster said...

if you loved this one, just wait until you read the next one. It's brilliant.

librarypat said...

Thanks for the good review.
I've heard lots of good things about this book.

Candace said...

I really loved this book too. I thought her descriptions were very vivid. I was able to picture things much better then I can with many books about the fae. Terrific review!

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.