Friday, April 16, 2010

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Title: Twenty Boy Summer
Author: Sarah Ockler

Pages: 290, hardcover
Publisher: Little Brown & Co.
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: July 2009

Overall Rating:


"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy ever day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie---she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.




Addicting, realistic, heartbreaking, and entertaining, Twenty Boy Summer was a guilty pleasure. Knowing how much I loved other books about grief and loss of a loved one, I just knew I was going to love this. Indeed, this summer read will have you craving summer romance.

It's been a year since the death of Matt, Anna's significant other. Matt's sister Frankie, has no knowledge of their relationship. Anna still grieves and mourns the death of Matt in silencce, even though it's summer and time to look for new summer flings. After Frankie comes up with the Twenty Boy Summer, a contest to see who can get the most boys, Anna is obligated to participate.

Mouth-opening, jaw-dropping, and incredible was Twenty Boy Summer. It was shockingly a powerful story of love, grief, friendship, and moving on after the death of a significant other.

In Twenty Boy Summer, I got a secondhand look at falling in love and then losing the most that special somebody. Ockler made it come alive in my mind, it was splendid. It exposed me to circumstances I haven't been exposed to in real life, and it felt good reading about them. Ockler writing was sentimental, tear-jerking, while being amusing and entertaining.

I was drawn to Anna the most. For half the book, I was deeply annoyed by Frankie who was always trying be rebellious. Almost all characters had depth to them, and weren't flat. They all expressed so many emotions, which kept me lured.

While this book was a admirable, I do have some complaints. Smoking and views on virginity were distracting. I don't know what Ockler's intentions were on this, but they did bother. Virginity wasn't viewed as wonderful, valuable, or gratifying. It was viewed more as something that girl's should be desperate to lose. While this was a throw off for me, I'm sure not many people would be bothered by this, as it is common in YA today.

The sea glass concept was genius and brought more twists. Words don't come to me easy to explain how good it was, in a sense that it let me see deep feelings and emotions. Like how in a second you can one of the most special things to you. Twenty Boy Summer allowed me to see some meaning in life. (And, it did bring some tears to my eyes.)

Rating:
Plot: (9/10)
Characters: (8/10)
Ending: (8/10)
Enjoyment: (10/10)
Cover: (9/10)
Overall: 44/50 = 90% = A-

Cover:
The red sea glass pops out with the blue sea glass. I think it portrays heartbreak. Suits the book, perfectly.

For More
Info or to Buy Twenty Boy Summer:

7 comments:

Audrey; (AyC) said...

This was a great review, I seriously can't wait for it to come out in PB so I can buy it.. I know, I'm cheap xp

Christina T said...

Fantastic review! This is one of my favorite reads from last year. I liked it much more than The Secret Year which covers similar subject matter.

Sara said...

Aww I absolutely love this book! Wonderful interview :)

Book Monster said...

I agree with your complaint, though I haven't read this book. I do like a good realistic, emotional read. Maybe I'll try this sometime. Great Review!!

Michelle said...

Loved this book. I've never cried at the beginning of a story aside from this book. The first chapter is quite intense.

And I think with the virginity thing that a lot of girls really are desperate to lose it. I guess it's different for everyone and Anna just signified one of those girls. The smoking I don't remember though. :/

Great review! :D

Kelsey said...

Nice review, sorry you didn't enjoy it more, but I understand you're complaints. This is one of my favorite books though!

Leah said...

This is a great review! I've just added it to my wishlist to buy at some point!