Tuesday, April 20, 2010

US Vs. UK (5)

US Vs. UK is a meme to compare the covers of a certain book and decide which looks best. It is currently hosted by Wondrous Reads and Bloody Bookaholic.

Today's Contestants:



Ash by Malinda Lo

Summary: In the wake of her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, re-reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.
The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash’s capacity for love—and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.
Entrancing and romantic, Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

US: Personally, I admire both of the covers. The US cover looks more magical with emotions portrayed in. The model's pose does alot for the cover making her look more like the MC. I've seen the physical book and it's gorgeous.

UK: I love this one as well, the image looks cinderella-like. The color is very intriguing. Although, I'm not sure I'd buy it. But, it does indeed match the book.

US
WINS FOR ME


The US cover looks magical to me, and sells me the book better than the UK cover.

10 comments:

Adriana said...

My vote is for the U.S. as well. The UK one is nice too, but it seems really cartoonish and young.

Michelle said...

I really don't like the UK one. Like Adriana said it looks too cartoonish and young. :/

brizmus said...

I love both covers, and I previously thought there was no way the US one could be topped, but it seems like it has. I think I like the UK one best.

Addicted Book Reader said...

I like the UK cover better, but I think the US one would definitely sell a lot more copies. The US cover is really pretty and intriguing though.

Holly said...

I like the US cover.

Elizabeth Morgan said...

I like the blue cover more. makes the girl seem distant.

MarceJ said...

I like both, would be interesting to read and wonder what I would prefer.

If I had to choose it would be US, the UK seems a little young to me.

Kelly Peres said...

i own the UK and I would say UK just cuz the picture does it no justice the background changes colour i think i have it on my IMM vlog for last week!!

librarypat said...

Both covers are nice. I prefer the one with the black background (US cover?). To me it best represents the feelings mentioned the blurb.

Bookworm said...

The black (US) is more dramatic, but the UK one is more mystical and Cinderella-ish, which I like better.