Tuesday, April 27, 2010

US Vs. UK (6)

US Vs. UK is a meme to compare the covers of a certain book and decide which looks best. It is currently hosted by Wondrous Reads and Bloody Bookaholic.

Today's Contestants:



Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Summary: Nimira is a music-hall performer forced to dance for pennies to an audience of leering drunks. When wealthy sorcerer Hollin Parry hires her to do a special act - singing accompaniment to an exquisite piano-playing automaton, Nimira believes it is the start of a new life. In Parry's world, however, buried secrets stir. Unsettling below-stairs rumours abound about ghosts, a mad woman roaming the halls, and of Parry's involvement in a gang of ruthless sorcerers who torture fairies for sport. When Nimira discovers the spirit of a dashing young fairy gentleman is trapped inside the automaton's stiff limbs, waiting for someone to break the curse and set him free, the two fall in love. But it is a love set against a dreadful race against time to save the entire fairy realm, which is in mortal peril.

US: Out of the 2 US covers I like the 1st one, best. It catches my eye faster. I did hear about the mishap with the covers, and in that case I like the 2nd one better. They both look great. I love the font on both.

UK: This one is a little cartonnis. Doesn't look to be like a Young Adult novel. I would definitely pass by it at a book store. It's just not attractive.

US
WINS FOR ME

The US covers tell me more about the book and leave me intrigued!

7 comments:

Addicted Book Reader said...

I remember all the controversy over the first cover, and I'm really happy they redid it to the second cover. It is so pretty and the girl is perfect for the cover! The UK cover is cute but definitely not a book a would pick up, just like you said. The 2nd US cover totally wins for me! : )

Leilani @Leilani Loves Books said...

US wins HANDS DOWN.

brizmus said...

I feel bad that my favorite cover is the one that had so much debate about it. I actually think the new US one is terrible. I quite like the UK one, too, but my favorite is still that first controversial US cover!

Bookworm said...

I like the first US one (the new one is sooo generic), but I have to say UK is the best. Love the enchanting flowers--so pretty!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I have always preferred the UK one - it just seems more magical or something.

Cleverly Inked said...

I really like them all. The book is fantastic

librarypat said...

All the covers are nice. I too preferred the first US cover. As for the controversy over the cover, the second doesn't necessarily correct the complaint. Those in the art department could have used another model and recreated the first cover. It would have been their smartest move. The second cover doesn't really SAY anything.