Friday, May 14, 2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Author: Carrie Ryan

Pages: 310, paperback
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: Feb 2010

Overall Rating:
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is a remarkable, shining, and excellent novel. From the moment, I picked it up this book kept impressing me, it kept giving me reasons to keep reading it.

Mary lives in The Village, an enclosed isolated area. There's mysteries about what's outside it. Around it is an area called The Forest of Hands and Teeth, here is where the Unconsecrated (zombies) live. Mary first experiences the pain of seeing her parents go to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. She must now join the Sisterhood to explore the world where she lives. Following many important decisions for her future.

In the Forest of Hands and Teeth, there is a huge connection with the reader. The reader is forced to keep reading to find out the secrets of this world, that creeps when reading. Ryan does a magnificent job, the reader gets an abundance of mystery, suspense, trill and horror. I was shocked about how scary living in Mary's world would be.

The story holds a strong, heartbreaking tone throughout the book. Sometimes it was comical, horrifying, or saddening. Ryan makes a perfect connection with the reader with her simple, yet brilliant writing. There's no doubt she's got a gift of story-telling, it went beyond what I would expect from a debut novel.

The characters were pretty deep, all with different personalities and likable. I got into Mary's mind she was this adventurous, rebel, and curious character. This book isn't depressing and tells alot about living in circumstances of destruction, pain, and danger. I lived it all in this book.

I don't regret reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth, it was an interesting, enjoyable book that holds alot of truths about life. To me it felt like it was metaphorical to real life. I recommend this to all mystery, horror, trill, and poignant fans.

Rating:
Plot: (10/10)
Characters: (9/10)
Ending: (9/10)
Enjoyment: (10/10)
Cover: (9/10)
Overall: 46/50 = 94% = A-

Cover:
Zombie-looking, I like the eye.

For More Info or to Buy The Forest of Hands and Teeth:

5 comments:

prophecygirl said...

Awesome review! I think I'm the only blogger who hasn't read this yet.. will sort that out ;)

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I really enjoyed this book too! And one of my students also read The Dead-Tossed Waves and she said it was even better! It's on my summer reading list.

Jenn (Books At Midnight) said...

Thanks for participating in The Saturday Network! :)

Great review, though I don't necessarily agree with it, haha. I really liked Ryan's writing and the mystery/suspense/horror, but I felt the plot was lacking... It had good potential, but it was downright depressing. I've been reading good reviews about The Dead-Tossed Waves though, so I might give this series another go. :)

Sara McClung ♥ said...

This is one of my fave books ever! Wait til you read The Dead-Tossed Waves!

librarypat said...

Have heard lots of good things about this book. Your review makes me realize I really do need to read it.