Monday, May 31, 2010

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman

Pages: 234, paperback
Publisher: Speak
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: April 2010 (in pb)

Overall Rating: .5
In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeenyear- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she fi nds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck... A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.
Absolutely, this book is heart-moving, intense, and heartrending. To the late hours of the night, this is a book that won't make you stop reading with ease. After beginning this book, I couldn't stop reading it, I didn't want to lose the deep emotion I could feel in the book. Although, I must say it didn't exactly leave mind blown.

She has a strenuous, complicated, and painful choice to make. Mia is at the verge of death battling a coma, after witnessing the death of her parents and brother. Having already lost the most important people in her life, Mia must make the choice, to leave or to stay and live her new reality.

I must praise the author for such a genius idea for this book. The choice is what keeps the reader reading until the last page. What the readers love much about this book, is how Mia can see what's going around her, like an outer body experience. While she's in a coma, it's like she has will of her own. We can hear her thoughts, and relive her memories of the past as she tells them.

The story goes from seeing the present, and Mia seeing her past. Truthfully, not much happened that excited me past the moment of the accident. But, what did happen was beautifully saddening, and tragic.

In the end, we do see some humor, so the whole story isn't joyless. I won't deny that while I thought this story was a little lacking action and excitement, this is an important book. It encourages to not lose hope after all is lost. I recommend it, warning: tears.

Rating:
Plot: (9/10)
Characters: (8/10)
Ending: (7/10)
Enjoyment: (8/10)
Cover: (9/10)
Overall: 41/50 = 82% = B-

Cover:
Love how the snow theme makes it to the cover. But, the model doesn't exactly fit the description of Mia, completely. Altogether, the cover is simply beautiful.

For More Info or to Buy If I Stay:

7 comments:

Jessilyn said...

wow this sounds so good reminds me of the feeling I felt after reading lovely bones! I will have to check this one out ;)

Jessica
http://jessicasvision.blogspot.com/

Audrey; (AyC) said...

It took me until the very end to tear up a bit, but I thought it was pretty heavy emotioanlly throughout. great review! i agree, not really that much plot.

Christina T said...

Great review! I am looking forward to reading this although I don't know how much I will like it. I did actually like Before I Fall so maybe I will like this too. It sounds like it is an intense story anyway. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

Amber Skye said...

I've been wanting to read this one for some time. It sounds pretty intense. Thanks for the review :)

Jami said...

This is in my TBR pile. I will read with tissues close by. Thanks for the review!

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i agree, this book really moved me and i became really attached to Mia, i found it hard to accept the ending, but it was beautiful in a another way becuase it gives us hope,lovely review :)

Rowena said...

This sounds like it would be a tearjerker kind of book so I'm in! I'm definitely intrigued to see what choice she made. Great review!