Tuesday, May 11, 2010

US Vs. UK (8)

US Vs. UK is a meme to compare the covers of a certain book and decide which looks best. It is currently hosted by Wondrous Reads and Bloody Bookaholic.

Today's Contestants:


The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
Summary: Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey’s boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie’s own. Joe is the new boy in
town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they’re the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can’t collide without the whole wide world exploding.

US: It looks so perfect to me, big font calling for attention, matching color scheme. Even though it's fairly simple it tells me more about the story than the UK. From the cover I see that it's probably and emotional, deep book and it interests me.

UK: Based on the cover, I would never read the book. It's too plain, it needs more color to draw attention. From looking at it I get the feeling that it's more of a cute and adorable read rather than what the plot is about. It turns me off.

US / UK
US

WINS FOR ME

The color scheme and the big font draws me to buy this. It's more alluring!

16 comments:

Sara said...

I haven't read this one yet, but for some reason I've never really liked the US cover. I liked the UK cover though because it just seemed simple and just cute :D

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carol said...

O prefer the second one too :)

Mariana Paix√£o said...

I prefer the US cover too, but I'd want to read the one with UK cover too.. It's simple but it's cute... I guess more than the appearance, I would be more interested in the title!

I really liked the summary! Where I live (Brazil) there's nothing like this story!

Robolobolyn's Universe of Books said...

I've read this one just recently, and based on the cover alone I never would have picked it up. Neither cover really speaks to me, but if I had to chose the one that I like the best, I'd have to go with the UK one. Like Sara said, it's cute! :)

Lea (YA Book Queen) said...

Definitely the first one, it just looks so unique and I think it fits the book nicely. :)

Kelsey said...

I definitely agree with you. The US cover definitely suits it more.

chicklit101 said...

They're both blah :/ BUT, if I had to choose, I'd say the second one!

Addicted Book Reader said...

I really don't like the US cover... The second one is really cute but is a tad plain. The UK cover wins for me!

Michelle said...

I really love both to be honest. :)

Amber Skye said...

Honestly, I like both. The US cover is pretty but the UK cover has a sort of simple charm to it.

Bere said...

I'm really excited to read this one! I had never seen the UK cover until now. I have to admit that I kinda like the UK cover best. The blue looks great!

Bella said...

They're both equally pretty to me :) Normally one is much more unattractive than the other, but this time I really love both!

My little world of books said...

I agree with you, I love the US cover!

And girl i absolutely love your blog! Im gonna be here often =)

Kiss,
Mandy

Good Golly Miss Holly said...

You really have to see the UK cover IRL to get a feel for it, I pick it as my fave.

Blueicegal ♥ said...

i live in the uk so i just recently bought the uk cover, but i didn't realise i asked if there was another cover because i was already into the other cover which i now see was the us cover, i wasn't into the UK cover at all the only cool thing about it is that is has this elastic binder that goes around the book which is quite pretty but i prefer the us cover