Monday, June 21, 2010

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater

Pages: 390, hardcover
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: August 2009

Overall Rating:
For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
Shiver is lyrical, enticing, full of simplicity that has the power to fascinate readers. Reading Shiver wasn't disappointing like I expected it to be - on the other hand it was a wondrous experience. It's now clear to me why someone would do almost anything for a copy of Linger.

Since she was attacked by werewolves 6 years ago, Grace fell in love with Sam, a werewolf. They are both instantly drawn to each other - human to wolf. Sam is more than he seems, he can turn into a boy, a human, and upon his return into human form, Sam and Grace fall in love. There's only one thing keeping them apart, the temperature, everytime it's freezing Sam goes back to werewolf form. There's nothing that can stop this, and it gets much worse his human side might fade....

This is a new refreshing tale about supernatural love. There's so many complications, tension, and chills that the reader feels while reading. There's so much challenge that Sam and Grace must face, as the story unfolds, the readers crave to know the outcome - all the roads are closed. It's just so easy to jump in to the story, as events happened I got excited to follow the story. I would describe how it feels - like a roller coaster ride full of screaming and trill.

Shiver was written alternating perspectives from both Grace and Sam's POVs. It's works beautifully here, because their thoughts make the story stronger, intenser, and more extraordinary. There's less from Sam at first that made me just insanely crazy, I wanted to know the truth behind this mysterious guy. Plus, there's this stability that Stiefvater keeps while writing, it's never forced or unnatural, there's perfect timing for everything.

I was touched by this novel, it gives a new outlook on love. I even had to stop every moment to savor it - it was that downright amazing. Run to the bookstore, if you haven't read this. If you don't you'd be missing out immensely!

Rating:
Plot: (10/10)
Characters: (10/10)
Ending: (10/10)
Enjoyment: (10+/10)
Cover: (10/10)
Overall: 50/50 = 100% = A+ (again!)

Cover:
Foresty, cold, chilling. There's a wolf in the background that took me by surprise. It's like hiding in the cover.

For More Info or to Buy Shiver:

5 comments:

RaĆ­la said...

Oh, Shiver has just released in Brazil so I am now more than excited to get it. I've been awesome things about it, by the way. And you review made me want to read it even more. Thanks! :)

Bere said...

Wonderful review Dahlia! Your review makes me want to read Shiver NOW hehe. I'm so glad I finally ordered it, can't wait to read it. I had no idea there was a wolf in the cover. I barely saw it, now that you mentioned it! Again, fantastic review Dahlia, thanks =)

Jennie Smith said...

I have this one on my shelf and though I keep hearing great things about it, something else always seems to jump ahead of it... I'm thinking it is next! Great review!!

Happy reading

Miss Remmers said...

I just bought this book - looks like you loved it! I can't wait to read it. Great review!

Lizzy said...

Great review! I really enjoyed this one, although I wasn't sure what to expect when I first picked it up. I personally liked that it didn't seem to have any of the werewolf cliches that I've found in some other YA vampire/werewolf themed stories. Now, i just have to wait for Linger.