Sunday, September 5, 2010

Audrey Wait! by Robin Benway

Title: Audrey Wait!
Author: Robin Benway

Pages: 313, paperback
Publisher: Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Pub. Date: April 2008

Overall Rating:
While trying to score a date with her cute co-worker at the Scooper Dooper, sixteen-year-old Audrey gains unwanted fame and celebrity status when her ex-boyfriend, a rock musician, records a breakup song about her that soars to the top of the Billboard charts.
Audrey Wait! rocked my world. For the short hours that it took me to get through it, I was educated on rock music. dating a rockstar, popular culture, and dealing with paparazzi, you know teen stuff? I know I'm not the only one who was reminded of "Hey There Delilah" from reading Audrey Wait!

Evan, a rockstar in distress, writes a song about his breakup with Audrey titled "Audrey Wait". Automatically the song hits number one in the nation's music charts, and that's not all overnight Audrey is overwhelmed with fame with every play of the song. Instantly magazine editors, the press, and obsessed fans start watching her every move like a hawk, everyone wants a piece of her, wants to be her. But, Audrey only wants to be a regular non-popular girl nobody know, so she can date James her co-worker at the Scooper Dooper where she works to feed her music obsession. Will her newfound fame tear their relationship apart?

Benway is a creative machine. Every line in Audrey Wait! was perfectly arranged to engross the reader to read the fast-paced novel. The lines were so true and effortlessly humorous. There were so many open doors to Audrey Wait that would have made it cliched, but it was the complete opposite it always gave me an "lol" reaction when reading it.

Audrey's voice had so much life, heart, and passion that couldn't be ignored, she's witty, rebellious, and clever character there was so much personality there to blow your mind. As well, the cast of Audrey Wait was super developed and showed the reader a great time. Through Audrey's situation, Benway speaks to the readers about the real truth behind fame - It isn't cracked up to be. How there's always a downside to something that looks too good to resist.

All together, Audrey Wait! is worth the read trust me, don't think so? you'd be missing out on an exciting adventure you don't want to miss!

Content Rating:

Rated PG-13 Young Adult


Content Comments:
The profanity is fairly easy to ignore to insensitive readers, but for sensitive readers I recommend not picking it up. Audrey Wait! has a significant load of references to sex, drugs, alcohol, and crude comments.

Rating:
Plot: (9/10)
Characters: (9/10)
Ending: (9/10)
Enjoyment: (9/10)
Cover: (8/10)
Overall: 44/50 = 88% = B+

Cover:
Worth what I paid $3.48.

For More
Info or to Buy Audrey Wait!:

3 comments:

proseandkahn said...

Interesting review. I read it when it first came out and thought that my seventh and eighth grade students would eat it up. It circulates, but not briskly. I don't understand why not. It's such fun, while at the same time making rather wry commentary on our collective celebrity fetish.

BTW, I hate, hate, hate the new cover. My copy is pink and yellow and rather psychadelic.

brenda

Katie said...

I love love love this book. Great review! You're right, it did seem like every word and phrase was perfectly arranged, love it.

Best line "my dad and an extremely insane cat are upstairs and they will f**k you up, I swear to God. Especially the cat. She's loyal." Laughed so hard I cried!

Book Loving Mommy said...

Hi there! I have an award for you on my blog!

http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com